I am an applied microeconomist with research interests in environmental and energy economics and empirical industrial organization. My research goal is to improve public policy making through understanding the impacts of environmental and energy policies and efficient policy design.
- How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy? Shanjun Li, Christopher Timmins and Roger H. von Haefen, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 1(2): 113-137, 2009.
- Gasoline Prices, Government Support, and the Demand for Hybrid Vehicles, Arie Beresteanu and Shanjun Li, International Economic Review, 52(1): 161-182, 2011.
- Lose Some, Save Some: Obesity, Automobile Demand, and Gasoline Consumption, Shanjun Li, Yanyan Liu and Junjie Zhang, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 61(1): 52-66, 2011.
- Traffic Safety and Vehicle Choice: Quantifying the Arms Race on American Roads, Journal of Applied Econometrics, 27(1): 34-62, 2012.
- Is There an Energy Paradox in Fuel Economy? Antonio Bento, Shanjun Li, and Kevin Roth, Economics Letters, 115(1): 44-48, 2012.
- Cost-Effectiveness of Electricity Energy Efficiency Programs, Toshi Arimura, Shanjun Li, Richard Newell and Karen Palmer, Energy Journal, 33(2), 2012
- How Important Are Endogenous Peer Effects in Group Lending? Estimating a Static Game of Incomplete Information, Shanjun Li, Yanyan Liu and Klaus Deininger, Journal of Applied Econometrics, 28(5): 864-882,2013.
- Evaluating ”Cash-for-Clunkers”: Program Effects on Auto Sales and the Environment, Shanjun Li, Joshua Linn and Elisheba Spiller, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 65(2): 165-193,2013.
- Firm Competitiveness and EU Emissions Trading System, Ron Chan, Shanjun Li and Fan Zhang, Energy Policy, 63: 1056-1064, 2013.
- A New Approach to Estimate Residential Electricity Demand Using Household Expenditure Data, Harrison Fell, Shanjun Li and Anthony Paul, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 33: 37-47, 2014.
- How Should Different Countries Tax Fuels to Correct Environmental Externalities?, Ian Parry, Dirk Heine, Shanjun Li and Eliza Lis, Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy, 3(2), 2014.
- Gasoline Taxes and Consumer Behavior, Shanjun Li, Joshua Linn and Erich Muehlegger, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 6(4): 302-342, 2014.
- Getting Energy Prices Right: from Principle to Practice, Ian Parry, Dirk Heine, Eliza Lis, and Shanjun Li, Book (183 pages), International Monetary Fund Press, 2014
- Are Physicians’ Prescribing Decisions Sensitive to Drug Prices? Evidence from a Free-Antibiotics Program, Shanjun Li and Ramanan Laxminarayan, Health Economics, 24(2):158-174, 2015.
- The Price Evolution in China’s Automobile Market, Shanjun Li, Junji Xiao and Yimin Liu, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 24(4), 2015.
- Public Bus Procurement: The Role of Regulation, Energy Prices and Federal Subsidies, Shanjun Li, Matthew E. Kahn and Jerry Nickelsburg, Journal of Urban Economics, 87: 57-71, 2015.
- Assessing the Role of Renewable Energy Policies in Landfill Gas to Energy Projects, Shanjun Li, Han Kyul Yoo, Molly Macauley, Karen Palmer, and Jhih-Shyang Shih, Energy Economics, 49: 687-697, 2015.
- Market dynamics and indirect network effects in electric vehicle diffusion, Zhe Yu, Shanjun Li, Lang Tong, Transportation Research Part D, 47: 336-356, 2016.
- Wheels of Fortune: Subway Expansion and Property Values in Beijing, Shanjun Li, Jun Yang, Ping Qin and Shun Chonabayashi, Journal of Regional Science, forthcoming.
- Efficiency and Environmental Impacts of Electricity Market Restructuring on Coal-fired Power Plants, Ron Chan, Harrison Fell, Ian Lange and Shanjun Li, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, forthcoming.
- The Market for Electric Vehicles: Indirect Network Effect and Policy Impacts, Shanjun Li, Tong Lang, Jianwei Xing, and Yiyi Zhou, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, forthcoming.
Manuscripts (available at SSRN)
- Better Lucky Than Rich? Welfare Analysis of Automobile License Allocations in Beijing and Shanghai
- The Cost of Green Stimulus: A Dynamic Discrete Analysis of Vehicle Scrappage Programs, Shanjun Li and Chao Wei
- Demand Effects of Boycotts Related to Country-of-Origin: The Case of the Automobile Market in China, Qi Sun, Fang Wu, Shanjun Li and Raj Grewaj
- Flexible-Fuel Vehicle Adoption and the Biofuel Market, Xiaodong Du and Shanjun Li
- Technology Adoption and Critical Mass: The Case of U.S. Electric Vehicle Market, Yiyi Zhou and Shanjun Li
- Efficient Local Government Service Provision: The Role of Privatization and Public Sector Unions, Rhiannon Jerch, Matthew E. Kahn and Shanjun Li
- Local Protectionism, Market Structure, and Social Welfare: China's Automobile Market, Panle Jia Barwick, Shengmao Cao and Shanjun Li
- The Marginal Cost of Traffic Congestion: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Beijing, Shanjun Li, Avralt-od Purevjav and Jun Yang, coming soon